Nursing homes are facilities primarily for elderly people who are not necessarily ill or disabled enough to be hospitalized, but are still unable to take care of themselves effectively on a day-to-day basis. Residents of these facilities are generally provided with assistance in helping them carry out typical daily tasks, including hygiene, ensuring that they take their medication, providing them with three square meals a day, and generally making sure that they are comfortable and happy. RPI Consulting Group regularly has job openings in nursing homes for nurses and caregivers – contact us today if you’re a nurse looking for work who wants to make a difference.
One of the most important roles in a nursing home is that of the Registered Practical Nurse (or Licensed Practical Nurse in provinces/territories other than Ontario). Read on to learn about some of the duties that an RPN/LPN is responsible for in a nursing home.
The RPN/LPN in a Nursing Home
Because the residents of nursing homes are generally elderly, it stands to reason that they will require regular care and assistance with their daily tasks. When an RPN/LPN works in nursing home, they can expect their duties to include:
- Ensure that residents are being taken care of according to their needs and following any medical instructions from their physicians accurately and compassionately
- Observe and report on symptoms and overall conditions of residents
- Assist in the planning and development of resident care plans
- Supervise other nursing staff and personal support workers who are assigned to a specific wing or unit
- Work together with the rest of the staff to ensure that the nursing home runs smoothly and that residents receive outstanding around-the-clock care
This is not an exhaustive list of all of an RPN/LPN nurse’s duties, but it does outline the more important ones.
Nursing homes play a valuable role in the community, and if you’re an RPN/LPN who gets hired to work at one, you will be expected to play a key role in ensuring that residents are comfortable, healthy and happy. If you’re interested in seeing what opportunities RPI currently has available, contact one of our friendly and knowledgeable Account Managers for more information.
Phone: 416-850-9809; Toll-Free: 1-866-505-3383